I
really wanted to write about the “oh so hot ” 2014 elections but first a short
take on ‘jingoism’ in the guise of “patriotism”.
On this
bright Sunday morning, while sipping my morning tea I was reflecting on this so
called “I’m proud to be an Indian” patriots. These are some of their
characteristics – they would be among the first to proclaim that they are proud
to be Indians, India is the best country (they would have a ready and long list
of achievements to prove that) and they will not tolerate any criticism of the
country. Most of this vociferous lot will also be among the first to find ways
to go abroad ‘somehow’.
So, what is
wrong with that? Now I come to that.
It is not
about “I’m proud to be an Indian”, “Is India proud of you” is the right
question to judge how patriotic you are. Now, there are
people who don’t indulge in so much of slogan-baji but when they have a chance,
they would stand up for truth or someone else’s rights even if in a small way. I salute the patriotic spirit of such people.
So, really, these are the right questions to ask - Have you ever donated to any cause, stood up for justice, tried to improve your country in some way? Have you done anything other than for yourself and your next of kin? Or just blame it all on the politicians and push all the wrong things under the carpet. Sometime back I met a person who said this Nirbhaya story has done much harm to our country’s image. But I thought it is about time it did that. Every day we pick up the papers, we read horror stories and apart from a few odd ‘limelight cases’, rarely is justice served. If you attend any protest marches, hardly a handful turn up.
It is
alright to say I’m proud to be an Indian; what it really means is that I’m an
Indian and I feel proud to be one. It is all about some sort of personal ego
mixed up with national ego – what I sum up as ‘jingoism’. If you wish to know
how patriotic you are, the right question is “does India have a reason to be
proud of you”?
Surely
India has made great strides in the economic arena and while many Indians have
done us proud, a lot of credit also goes to the Indian government for following
sound economic policies, conciliatory foreign policy and keeping the divergent
nation together and stable. But our progress remains marred by issues like
rising crime against women, continuing caste system and oppression, poverty in
rural India, population explosion etc. In a democracy, the onus for change
rests as much on the people as the politicians. This point is often forgotten. Armchair
jingoism is easy but standing up for what is right or bringing about any kind
of change so tough.
So, time to
roll up your sleeves…“Make India proud” – even a small act of kindness or voice
for justice would be truer patriotism than all this slogan-baaji!
Don’t be
mad at me for writing this, give it a thought.

that makes a lot of sense; to ask such a question truly requires guts...
ReplyDeletea John F. Kennedy touch there
just passing by
Yes I was thinking the same "ask not what your country can do for you.." - maybe this is my desi version of that.
Deletetrue...recently I had read a blog by Mahatria ( which was in the same vein)we, as citizens have not done our part . the reason I loved that article was it made me think abt my contributions towards the community and society ...my country of birth...not just to my parents and my family...we ( and by that I mean all of us...even the ones living abroad) indeed have become a nation of "I, me and myself" ...if all of us would do our little bit, India would really be a force to reckon with ...
ReplyDelete