Now here is
this thing called “Education”. What is it? Literacy? Number of degrees? Yes all
of that. I mean it is a great thing to be able to read and write. In this day
of information and knowledge explosion, education opens up so many avenues. So,
I’m all for it and don’t think we need to revert to the Stone Age sort of a
thing but here are some myths I’d like to explore.
No. 1 Multiple Intelligence
You see
some time back I came across a guitarist who was playing in a music band and we
had a few arguments. Since I came out quite strongly in all my opinions, he got
miffed with me and said that I thought he is dumb. Well, I had thought no such
thing and told him "don’t blame me if ‘you’ think you are dumb". But in all
honesty, I did not think he was dumb. Sure he could not discuss politics like
me but I wouldn’t have been able to play a single cord on a guitar. His
intelligence lay elsewhere and even for a moment I did not see how he could
think he is dumb. Variety is the spice of life and all that.
So
intelligence is not to be equated with academic excellence alone. If you are an
actor, musician or sportsman, you have a different kind of talent and besides talent,
it takes a lot of intelligence to succeed in any field. I once saw one of my
aunts really push her son into studies when he was so good (actually excellent)
at sports. He left sports because of that pressure but never became good at
studies anyway. So, it is good to
understand the concept of multiple intelligences – children as well as adults
are gifted differently and they do best when they harness that potential. A
guitarist has different sort of musical intelligence from a journalist and a
journalist from a mathematician.
No.2 Uneducated people are dumb
Are they
really? Now I have had many a maid in India and China and they are clever to a
dozen. I mean really clever and smart. I mean I felt dumb many a times. But
yes, if they are absolutely illiterate, they would have some sort of complex
about it. So, sure education will improve people’s chances and help them
progress but the ones who are not educated are not really dumb either.
No. 3 Education
versus Creativity
I have read
this someplace, that people who are the absolute topmost in academics do worse
than people who are second rung. Like people who score high marks but not the
highest tend to do better in life. I saw this in reality too. I think some
business schools in the US have a policy to recruit candidates across the
percentile spectrum. I can understand the logic of it. I mean the ones who
strive for top end academic excellence tend to become uni-dimensional and probably
miss out learning other personality traits. The next rung guys and gals are
smarter actually.
But apart
from smartness, there is an element of creativity which is sacrificed sometimes
through structured education. It was Einstein who said I think that it is a
wonder how any creativity survives formal education.
Now the
reason that is, is not because education per se is bad but perhaps it is too
linear. Going back to the first concept, education is yet to truly catch up to
the idea of multiple intelligences. It is important to recognize that different
children are talented differently, and education needs to be a lot more varied
to bring out the best in each. The whole idea of segregating winners from
losers too early based on marks in mathematics is quite rudimentary.
No. 4
Charitable foundations around Education
Now here is
a funny experience I want to share with you. I was in a setup and there was
this thing about let us do some good to the society around (mainly the
poor) and I was to lead that initiative. So we sat together and of course the first thing we thought of was opening a
school, in fact a mobile school with mid day meal sort of a thing. Highly
excited we went around taking a rain check and to our dismay, we discovered that everybody was doing education. A builder had opened a school, a company
had opened a school, there were government schools and you know just about
everyone involved in doing some charity had first thought of a school. Well,
ok, we realized that is not the stuff to go after then.
Then we started doing
some fieldwork and went to these hutments with a questionnaire and whatnot –
proper research. And of course the first and foremost issue was lack of toilets
verbalized strongly especially by women. I mean in villages and all it is still
ok as there are a lot of open spaces but in large congested cities, women have
a hard time even finding a space to use as an open site. It really looked like
a crisis to us. And one, that is so hard to resolve. I mean if it is food or clothes,
all you have to do is organize funds and distribute it to people (it is not
that simple either but relatively speaking). In a toilet, there has to be a
drainage system, some set up, water connection and it was really a mess we
really had no answer to. Next big issue was access to water but most hutments
had some access to shared water resource.
But I
digress, now coming back to education. Not just during the course of this study
but before also, most NGOs and charitable schools have the same problem – high dropout
rate especially among boys. But nevertheless these schools were doing an ok job
and actually at least in the city, it was heartening to see that there was
actually a glut in the market.
In the
rural areas of India illiteracy is high and very few schools really exist so
that is where there is a need for a literacy drive. But in urban India access
to schools is quite good and even among the poor, they like sending their kids
to “English medium” schools.
Umm what
more do I want to say.. well ok for the people who object to girls’ education
that it would give them ideas sort of a thing, well be rest assured, that is
not true. I have seen many an educated people who are highly regressive and
some not so educated ones who are highly progressive. So, I’d say some basic
education is a must to even survive in today’s world. But beyond that, it is
not the be all and end all of everything. There are other character traits
people need to develop. It is rather important to have a personality, some discernment
and most importantly to be able to think for yourself. Education should build a
knowledge base as ignorance is dangerous but it should not destroy people' ability to
think.
Now who is
truly educated? I personally like Aristotle’s idea on it who said that it is the
mark of an educated mind to entertain and idea without first accepting it. Yes,
knowledge is very important but it should never come at the expense of “openness”.
What do you
think? You know what I mean
…“think”

No comments:
Post a Comment