Friday, 23 August 2013

Sonia Gandhi – Silent Waters run Deep?



Being a politician, she receives her fair share of media glare and criticism; it is a part of the deal. But I have long been a fan of her. Yes, granted she is no idealist (would she last in politics if she were?) but I find her brand of politics as clever but what you may call “above board”. She has the pulse of the voter and knows what populist schemes to devise- NREGA, food security Bill etc. to mention a few. But she is neither divisive nor detrimental to the nation. And she does not play dirty to get to the top, though she just naturally belongs there by way of her Gandhi dynastic lineage.  I find her quiet strength admirable and she would be one of the women I admire. So, this piece is about her and UPA politics under her hand.

While much is written about the Gandhi dynasty, the present generation is not that power hungry as is often times suggested. After Rajiv’s death, Sonia stayed out of politics for good many years, 8 was it? Initially happy that brighter talent can now rise to the top, the Congress soon realized that there is no party without the Gandhis. Whether pressure from party men or threat of Bofors scandal, Sonia finally did enter the fray. However when BJP kicked up a storm over her Italian background, she did not fight back tooth and nail or play dirty. Despite winning the elections she stepped aside and propped up Manmohan Singh as the PM. Likewise, Rahul Gandhi, though the supposed crown prince, has spent more time travelling the countryside meeting the poor etc. than really trying to gun for Dr. Singh’s job. With Indira Gandhi’s lingering image, Priyanka too has been touted as the next candidate in waiting. But so far, apart from supporting Rahul’s campaigns, she seems to have stayed away. Whatever ideas may have been propounded, none of them seem to be the clichéd ‘power hungry’.

So what keeps them going in the murky world of politics? Patriotism, destiny, party pressure or may be a little bit of all because frankly the Congress really has no identity minus the Gandhi family, at least not in the voters’ mind. That is not to say Congress does not have other leaders but they have no party without the Gandhis. So, I’d settle for destiny as the answer to why they continue as clearly they have seen much violence and tragic losses and their wariness is often visible.

What about Sonia’s brand of politics? I think she is not the puppet brand model that party patriarchs may once have expected her to be. She is indeed shrewd and savvy. She knows who to trust and puts her confidants into positions of power such that they do not undermine her. Dr. Singh was hand picked for the job and temperamentally they do make a great team. While coalition governments were starting to become the norm, under her leadership, UPA has held on to good majority in two successive terms. She is quiet, understated and quite graceful for a politician. She knows how to avoid controversies and has the pulse of the Indian voter.

On the down side, she may never herald path breaking changes but even keeping such a diverse and factional country democratic, strong and stable is no mean task.  While UPA has come under the hammer for economic slowdown, I think the bigger issue is falling status of women in this country. And that no politician – be it the ruling party or the opposition is even talking about.  But again, that is as much a social as political issue which increasingly seems like a lost cause without a worthy champion. Ya, people have protested, media has written scores about it, but crime and general harassment of women seems to be on the rise not decline. So far as the economic slowdown itself is concerned, one couldn’t expect a better FM than Chidambaram but again good economic policies will not be populist and tend to go against what the voter thinks is good (more on that later). So, politicians are wary to implement them.

Sonia Gandhi herself is a good leader whose best quality I think is her ability to negotiate out of difficult situations. She knows how to keep the power balance without getting murky herself. Congress as a party has survived on her back. As a politician I think she is great and as a woman I think awesome – be it in her role in the past as a daughter in law (to Indira Gandhi, mind you), as a wife and as a mother. The word balancer comes to mind when I think of her. Does her Italian background matter, I don’t think so. I think she is quite a good role model for women.

Now this is increasingly looking like a UPA blog – so expect something lighter in the next vein..

No comments:

Post a Comment